What is Books+?
For a limited time, Crafton Hills College and San Bernardino Valley College are providing all students free rental access to textbooks plus course materials during the 2023-2024 academic year. We want to help you save money and focus on learning on day one without worrying about buying your textbooks for class.
How does Books+ work?
- The Books+ program provides free rental access to textbooks plus course materials to all registered students in the Summer 2023, Fall 2023 and Spring 2024 semesters.
- Once you have registered for courses, we will automatically send your course list to the Campus Bookstore and they will get your materials ready for you. All you need to do is pick up your course materials from the Campus Bookstore.
- Your campus bookstore will send you an email when your course materials are ready for pick up.
Who qualifies for Books+?
The Books+ program is for all students who register at Crafton Hills College or San Bernardino Valley College during the Summer 2023, Fall 2023 and Spring 2024 semesters, including:
- New and returning students
- Full-time students
- Part-time students
- Recent high school graduates
- Current high school students who are enrolled in college courses (dual enrollment)
- Working adult students
- Low-income students
- Middle-income students
- Military veteran students
- Undocumented students
- International students
How do I become a student?
What types of course materials will I receive?
Depending on your classes and the course materials your professor requires, Books+ provides you free rental access to:
- Digital textbooks
- Hardcopy textbooks
- Hardcopy workbooks
- Lab equipment
- Among other learning materials
What’s the difference between “Textbooks” vs. “Course Materials”?
Course materials is a broader category that includes digital materials and supplies like lab goggles. It’s everything you need for a class. With Books+, we will provide you free rental access to textbooks plus course materials.
Will I save money?
Yes! Books+ provides you free rental access to required course materials. You will not need to pay out of pocket since we are covering the cost of your rental.
How do I get my course materials?
- First, enroll now as a student at Crafton Hills College or San Bernardino Valley College.
- Once you have registered for courses, we will automatically send your course list to the Campus Bookstore, and they will get your materials ready for you.
- You will receive an email from the Campus Bookstore when your course materials are ready. All you need to do is pick up your course materials from the Campus Bookstore.
- Some of your course materials will be available online in a digital format on Canvas (your online student portal) the first week of the semester.
- You will receive an email when your course materials are ready.
I'm a registered student, how do I access my course materials on Canvas?
How long will the Books+ program be available?
We will offer Books+ while state and federal funding are available. Currently, it is only available during the Summer 2023, Fall 2023 and Spring 2024 semesters
What if I add or drop a course?
- If you drop a course, please return all course materials to the Campus Bookstore as soon as you can.
- Suppose you add a new course after you have already picked up your materials. In that case, the Campus Bookstore will send you an email letting you know when your additional materials are available for pickup.
If my professor has “recommended” (instead of “required”) course materials, will those be included in the program?
Only materials identified by your professor or campus as “required” are included as part of the program. All “recommended” materials will be available for purchase at the Bookstore or online at the CHC Bookstore or SBVC Bookstore.
What’s the difference between “Required,” “Recommended,” and “Suggested” textbooks?
- Required: It’s necessary for the course. Books+ will provide you free rental access to required course materials.
- Recommended: The instructor has suggested an item that may be helpful. Please note that “recommended” materials are not covered under Books+.
- Suggested: These items are often purchased with the required book, or other students have found the item useful. Please note that “suggested” materials are not covered under Books+.
What do I do after finals?
All physical textbooks or course materials in the Books+ program are rentals. They must be returned to the Campus Bookstore when the semester ends. After finals, please return your materials to the Bookstore by the following week.
I like keeping my books at the end of term; can I do that with this program?
Books+ is about saving you money and providing you free rental access to course materials. After the term is complete, all course materials must be returned to the Campus Bookstore. However, you can choose to keep the book by paying an additional fee.
What if I already bought my textbooks and course materials?
- Suppose you purchased your textbooks or course materials through a private vendor or online retailer. In that case, we encourage you to return them, if possible.
- If you already purchased books through the Campus Bookstore, you may return them for a refund. Through Books+, we will provide you free rentals to textbooks and course materials.
Can I write or highlight on my rented textbooks?
All course materials under Books+ are rentals.
At the end of the term, you are responsible for returning the book to the Campus Bookstore in good condition. (You can write in it or highlight reasonably, but need to protect it from excessive wear or water staining).
However, some of your Books+ course materials may be workbooks that require you to write on them. Those workbooks are yours to keep and you may write on them.
I need financial help
- Nearly 8 out of 10 students pay $0 enrollment fees thanks to our financial aid programs. It is not too late to apply for financial assistance – the deadline is September 2.
- Go to www.fafsa.gov, or if you are an undocumented student, go to https://dream.csac.ca.gov.
- COVID-19 emergency relief grants are also available for students. Visit our financial aid office to learn more.